The Museum

Pálshús, one of the oldest houses in Ólafsfjörður, is today a museum and a cultural centre, located at Strandgata 4 in Ólafsfjörður. The oldest part of the house was built in 1892. The house is named after Páli Bergssyni, one of the main instigators of the fishing enterprises in Ólafsfjörður and who, together with is wife Svanhildi Jörundsdóttur, finished building the house in the form we know today.

Today the locals have jointly rebuilt the house which now hosts the Natural Museum of Ólafsfjörður and a wonderful exhibition called "The Desire to Fly". This exhibition covers Icelandic bird flora and examines the human desire to fly. A great exhibition for children as it has a high educational value while being entertaining and fun.

In addition, Pálshús hosts private collections and diverse music and/or art exhibitions.

Access for disabled is good and there is a chairlift to access the lower floor.